Saturday, March 15, 2008

Final Five is coming!!!!

This has been a bit of a tradition for me, considering I think this is the 12th year, and one of the few times I actually take a vacation. I have even had the joy of attending when my favorite team, the Fighting Sioux, didn't make it. This is one of the premier college hockey tourneys and has always been a good time. The facilities have been great, the best hockey teams are there, etc. The only downside is some of the fans. Now I know every team has "those fans" that they don't like to claim, but for some reason during this tourney all the Goofer fans seem to be them. I can't even count how many times I hear "Sioux Suck" and I've pretty much learned to ignore it, although one year I did have my response ready. "Sioux suck"..."So does your mom, but I don't advertise it." That one basically dumbfounded the guys and I think may have upset them a bit. The best though was the expression on the usher's face. His jaw just dropped in awe as to say "I can't believe you just said that", then after what seemed an eternity it changed to just a huge grin. I have had the good experience with some of the guys, who are Goofer fans, of sitting behind us during the last few tourneys. We've enjoyed taking jabs at each others teams all in fun. They even join in on harassing a friend of mine who insists on wearing his "Ohio hockey" gear. Now this isn't Ohio State, this is Ohio University. I think they have a club team or something.

Anyways....I'll wrap this up with a few requests.
1. Attend your conference tournaments, even if your team doesn't make it.
2. Support your team without having to insult the others.
3. Enjoy the company of the other fans.

2 comments:

SIOUX 7 said...

It's been a long time since you and I where at the Final 5. If I remember correctly it was 1997, at the old St. Paul Civic Center. Ahhh, those where the days :)

The Goon has got us tickets in section 113 row 8.

CedarBrewSioux said...

Sounds about right. I do remember having some Captain Crunch with beer for breakfast since there wasn't milk. Then the next year it was off to WI...although I can't say I remember much of that trip. We're in section 115 again this year, I think. You'll have to get me you and Goon's cell #s before the tourney. We should be there between 2 and 3 on Thurs.