Saturday, April 5, 2008

Interesting night

Well, we had some vouchers left for tickets for the Cedar Rapids Roughriders, which is a USHL team. They just so happened to be playing the Indiana Ice. The Fighting Sioux have a couple recruits playing for the Ice right now, so I knew this would be a good chance to catch them in action before next year.

Ben Blood is one of those recruits. I have to tell you I really enjoyed watching him play. He's a big, solid defenseman and moves the puck very well. He jumps up in the play when needed and scored a goal last night. He had a lot of ice time last night, I swear he was on every other shift. I think he's got a very similar style to Genoway or Chorney. Should be a great addition to our D core.

Corey Fienhage is the other recruit. He didn't play nearly as much as Blood and his stats show that he's played many fewer games. I'm not sure if that was due to injury or something else. From his play last night, I'd say he's probably got another year in the USHL to do some more growing as a player. Corey's parents were also in attendance. His father was wearing a hat with the old geometric logo on it. This means they've either been fans for a while or possibly may be a legacy. I had a brief chat with them but had to get my beer and back to my seats before the period started.

I know I've seen a list before that details when each recruit is planning to begin their career with UND, but I can't remember where.

Another note on last nights game...The Fighting Sioux's assistant coach, Cary Eades, was in attendance. I got to talk to him briefly but he didn't seem very interested in talking to me. While I can understand that he probably gets approached by a lot of crazy fans, I didn't think that was a very classy move. I thought Canadians were supposed to be polite. I did get one important answer out of him, even though it wasn't definitive. "Will Kozek be back on the top line with Osh and Dunc?" The answer "There's a good chance." Come on.....you know they've been spectacular together. There's a reason that they put him back up there towards the end of the UND/WI game.

And finally, one side not for the Goon, a Boston Bruins recruiter was also at the game last night. He didn't seem very talkative either. Seemed once we asked him who he was recruiting for, he disappeared. It's not like I was harassing these people, I asked one question.

Oh, and one other thing, Goon better be posting some pictures of our recruits from last night. I sent them to him, since I haven't figured this thing out completely yet.

5 comments:

Eric J. Burton said...

I was planning to put some of them up but for some reason the email locked up my computer. LOL... It must be the cheap ACer that I have?

CedarBrewSioux said...

You know what excuses are like? I'll let it slide this time. I'm still hoping to get some more time to work on the Final Five pics, there should be some good ones in there.

Eric J. Burton said...

I also at work as well... I will get them up...

Eric J. Burton said...

Some of this stuff is pretty new to me... I am not very good with the computer...

Eric J. Burton said...

Dude, are you going to update your blog...